Lunapads International is a women-owned social mission driven business based in Vancouver, Canada. Our goal is to help our customers have healthier and more positive experiences of their menstrual cycles, and by extension, their bodies overall. We embrace a global perspective, in terms of well-being and empowerment for women and girls, as well as toward our responsibility with respect to sustainability.
We believe that using natural menstrual products can be a creative and empowering way to honor and care for ourselves and the planet.
All of our products have been created or chosen based on our own unique needs and lifestyles (we use them ourselves, and have done so for years), and we are confident we can find a solution that will work for you.
We are completely committed to customer service and want to ensure that your experience with Lunapads is a positive one. We love to hear from our customers, so please let us know how we can better serve you or how Lunapads has made a difference in your life.
Since 1993, Lunapads has been making their signature collection of menstrual products, Lunapads and Lunapanties. Lunapads were created by Madeleine Shaw (above, right), a fashion designer who realized she needed something to solve her own health concerns about using disposable pads and tampons.
Switching from tampons to cloth pads brought her the unexpected benefit of discovering a deeper connection with her body, and she set out to bring this gift to others in the form of starting a business. She wrote the first business plan for Lunapads in 1994, and in 1995 opened a store and small production facility. By 1998, Lunapads were available in health food stores across Canada.
In 1999, Madeleine met Suzanne Siemens (above, left), a Chartered Accountant, at a Community Leadership course they were both participating in. Realizing that they shared a vision for better health for women and the planet, they combined their skills to fully develop Lunapads' potential. Lunapads are now used by thousands worldwide: as a result 1 million disposable pads and tampons are now being diverted from landfills every month. Lunapanties and Lunapads continue to be proudly made in Vancouver, Canada.
We would not even come close to managing the business without our dedicated team: Kitty, Lisa, Morgan, Christa, Gonie, and Anika. You can learn more about our staff, as well as the most up-to-date goings-on at Lunapads on our Facebook page and Blog. Follow Lunapads' Official Twitter account @Lunapads, Madeleine at @OhMadeleine, Suzanne at @LunaGal, and Lisa at @Lunaplaids
- Pad donations. For over a decade, Lunapads has been donating washable pads to women's groups to support their fundraising efforts. We also regularly donate washable pads to women in developing nations. Our Pads4Girls campaign, in partnership with individuals and numerous NGOs, supplies washable pad kits to girls in developing nations. Imagine1Day is just one of many examples of groups working to help girls who would otherwise be missing school because they lack of adequate menstrual supplies.
- Mentoring women entrepreneurs in our community. We regularly invite women wanting to start their own businesses (particularly green ones!) to our office to interview us about our experience, ask questions and generally bounce ideas around. We provide leads, contact and advice.
- Business community support. We are members of the Green America Business Network and the Social Venture Network, as well as our local and online Better Business Bureaus and a local social-mission business support group.
- Volunteerism in action. Madeleine is a volunteer Mentor with the Women’s Enterprise Society of British Columbia and the Forum for Women Entrepreneurs and Suzanne is an advisory board member, former treasurer and honored lifetime member of the Georgia Strait Alliance, a BC marine conservation organization.
We are also grateful for the support of:
- Our production partners: Apple Garment Factory Ltd., TD Creations Inc., G.E. Garment Ltd., and Precision Patterns.
- Renewal Partners, Duncan, Pat and Kate, our business partners
- Our families including Tim, Craig, Aiden and Garret - the men of Lunapads!
- Our customers - we wouldn't be here without you!