We believe that using natural menstrual products is a creative and empowering way to honor and care for ourselves and the planet. All of our products have been created or chosen based on our own unique needs and lifestyles (in other words, we use them ourselves, and have done so for years), and we are confident we can find a solution that will work for you. We are completely committed to customer service and want to ensure that your experience with Lunapads is a positive one. We love to hear from our customers, so please let us know how we can better serve you or how Lunapads has made a difference in your life.
Since 1993, Lunapads has been making their signature collection of menstrual products, Lunapads and Lunapanties. Lunapads were created by Madeleine Shaw (right), a fashion designer who realized she needed something to solve her own health concerns about using disposable pads and tampons.
Switching from tampons to cloth pads brought her the unexpected benefit of discovering a deeper connection with her body, and she set out to bring this gift to others in the form of starting a business. She wrote the first business plan for Lunapads in 1994, and in 1995 opened a store and small production facility. By 1998, Lunapads were available in health food stores across Canada.
In 1999, Madeleine met Suzanne Siemens (left), a Chartered Accountant, at a Community Leadership course they were both participating in. Realizing that they shared a vision for better health for women and the planet, they combined their skills to fully develop Lunapads' potential. Lunapads are now used by thousands worldwide: as a result 1 million disposable pads and tampons are now being diverted from landfills every month. Lunapanties and Lunapads continue to be proudly made in Vancouver, Canada.
We would not even come close to managing the business without our dedicated full-time staff: Gonie, Lisa, Morgan, and Christa. You can learn more about the team, as well as the most up-to-date goings-on at Lunapads on our Blog.
- Blog Get to know the people behind Lunapads a bit better and see what's on our minds, as well as read guest entries from our oh-so-devoted customers! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to share your experience with us.
- Facebook Our official home on Facebook! This is where we post current sales, share blog entries and articles, talk about new products & offer exclusive Facebook only specials to our fans.
- Twitter Follow Lunapads' Official Twitter account @Lunapads, Madeleine at @Luna_Diva, Suzanne at @Luna_Gal, and Lisa at @Lunaplaids.
- Pad donations. For over a decade, Lunapads has been donating washable pads to women's groups to support their fundraising efforts. We also regularly donate washable pads to women in developing nations. Our Pads4Girls campaign, in partnership with individuals and numerous NGOs, supplies washable pad kits to girls in developing nations. Imagine1Day is just one of many examples of groups working to help girls who would otherwise be missing school because they lack of adequate menstrual supplies.
- Mentoring women entrepreneurs in our community. We regularly invite women wanting to start their own businesses (particularly green ones!) to our office to interview us about our experience, ask questions and generally bounce ideas around. We provide leads, contact and advice.
- Business community support. We are members of the Green America Business Network and the Social Venture Network, as well as our local and online Better Business Bureaus and a local social-mission business support group.
- Volunteerism in action. Madeleine is a volunteer Mentor with the Womenâ€™s Enterprise Society of British Columbia and the Forum for Women Entrepreneurs and Suzanne is an advisory board member, former treasurer and honored lifetime member of the Georgia Strait Alliance, a BC marine conservation organization.
We are also grateful for the support of:
- The Lin family, our production partners
- Renewal Partners, Duncan, Pat and Kate, our business partners
- Tim, Craig, Aiden and Garret - the â€śmen of Lunapadsâ€ť!
- Our customers - we wouldn't be here without you!
- Usability Testing and Wireframes: Analytic Design Group
- Design: Raised Eyebrow Web Studio
- Development: Gravity Digital
- Lunapanties Photos: Le Beast Photography
- Lunapads Photos: David Niddrie Photography
- Madeleine, Suzanne & Staff Portraits: Jaime Kowal Photography