We’ve been selling Cloth Wipes at Lunapads for many years now. It’s a reusable alternative to toilet paper that most people don’t even consider. Lunapads fan, Allison Lee was kind enough to give us her top 6 reasons to consider using Family Cloth!
Always looking for more ways to go green, I made the choice to switch to “family cloth” (that is, cloth toilet paper…that’s cloth. Not paper.) almost three years ago. After using cloth menstrual pads, cloth breast pads to catch milk leaks, and cloth diapers for years, I decided to make the switch to washable, reusable toilet cloth after watching a documentary called No Impact Man.
Maybe you’ve thought about ditching the disposable toilet paper in favor of something more eco-friendly or perhaps you’ve never given it a thought. Either way, ponder if you will my top 6 reasons for using family cloth—maybe you’ll find some convincing reasons to consider the switch for yourself.
1. I save trees when I use less paper.
2. No extra work is involved. I just throw my soiled cloths in the wash with all my other laundry, and I almost always wash in cold water. One quick caveat: I use family cloth only for urine. If you’re game for using it for #2, give it a go. But washing those soiled cloths may be a bit more involved.
3. It keeps textiles out of landfills. I take holey socks, ripped shirts, torn underwear, worn out pajamas–you name it–and turn them into pieces of family cloth instead of trash!
4. It saves money.
5. Family cloth is versatile. I have a two-bowl-system: One wooden bowl for clean cloths; one bowl (with a lid) for used cloths. When I clean a bathroom, I usually grab a few clean cloths to scrub and wipe up. Then into the “used” bowl they go.
6. It’s portable. When we travel, I take along a bag of family cloth and simply launder the cloths when we get home.
I only wish I’d thought of incorporating family cloth into my always-trying-to-be-more-green lifestyle years ago. Is this something you’d be willing to do?