Have you ever wondered if you really have to check your values at the door when you go to work? Ever dreamed of working for a compassionate, energetic, and creative company?
Have you ever wondered if you can use your accounting chops to do more than improve the bottom line, but also to live out your social and environmental values?
Could you do better? Could business do better? Could you live for what you believe in and make a difference? We’re Lunapads, and we’ve asked ourselves the same things.
Lunapads is owned and operated by women who are more than just industry leaders: we’re unapologetically feminist activists working to change the world. Our purpose is to inspire healthy and sustainable choices that support positive, shame-free experiences of our bodies.
We support that belief by providing a new perspective on personal care. We manufacture and sell washable, sustainable menstrual products: from our own branded line of Lunapads washable pads and period underwear to being an authorized reseller of the DivaCup.
Our values of authenticity, sustainability and transparency are reflected in our proud standing as a founding and award-winning Canadian B Corporation, and we’re constantly pushing ourselves to higher standards of social and environmental commitment.
As our new Senior Accountant, you’ll oversee our finance and accounting functions, with strong focus on financial analysis and reporting to support sound business decisions to chart our path forward for continued growth.
You’ll be immersed in the business and work with cross-functional teams to collect data, analyze performance, and provide recommendations to support the operational success of a fast-growing manufacturing and e-commerce business.
In addition, you’ll participate in major business initiatives, including a move to a new e-commerce platform (Shopify), the implementation of an ERP and cloud-based accounting software.
You’ll work closely with our CEO – herself a CPA, CA – as well as our junior accountant. They will be your day-to-day team-mates, mentors, and guides to Lunapads, especially while you learn the ropes.
A Rare Opportunity
This role is a rare opportunity to participate in all aspects of finance, accounting, and the business: an outstanding way to gain breadth, business maturity, and experience requirements towards a designation, or provide greater depth of experience and meaning to your existing designation.
You’ll thrive in this role if you’re curious, love to solve problems, and create efficiencies. You’re committed to growing the company and taking Lunapads to the next level. Never satisfied with the status quo, you’re always pushing yourself and your team-mates to do better. You want to be part of a close-knit, community-minded, small business, where every person is essential, has a voice, and sees the impact of their work.
In short, this is more than a job; it’s a path to rich career and personal growth, and exposure to a strong community of entrepreneurs who are using business as a force for good.
This is a full-time, permanent position, with a salary range between $45,000 and $65,000/year, commensurate with experience. Total compensation also includes vacation, personal and volunteer days, a health spending account, and more cloth pads and period underwear than you could shake a stick at.
We want you to be yourself when you come to work: that’s why we foster an environment where everyone takes pride in themselves and in their workplace. We encourage authenticity, and want you to bring your strengths, your flaws, and your whole self to work every day.
That’s the spirit that inspires our East Vancouver office space, which is open, energetic, and collective. We’re in and of this community; our office and warehouse are in one building, and our pads are made right down the street, where you can go visit ‘em when you need cheering up.
- Accounting designation achieved or in progress
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a finance and accounting role, including experience in full-cycle reporting and financial analysis
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel and accounting software applications (ex. AccountEdge, Xero, Quickbooks)
- Experience in paperless accounting and/or adapting paper systems to paperless or facilitating other operational efficiencies is an asset
- Experience in e-commerce and expertise in Google Analytics is an asset
- Experience in a start-up, small or mid-sized business, or strong attraction to work that way
- Experience in manufacturing, textiles, and cost accounting is an asset
Accounting & Finance
- Oversee and ensure completion of monthly and annual financial statements and other management reports as needed
- Evaluate and report on company’s financial status by preparing financial and cash flow projections, conducting budget vs actual variance analysis
- Create monthly and multi year budgets; update year end projections
- Provide guidance and supervision to Accounting Assistant to provide accurate, relevant, and timely information and analysis
- Monitor bank balances and optimize cash flow by managing accounts payables and bank balances of multiple currencies
- File and remit GST and PST
Business Analytics, Costing and KPIs
- Monitor, analyze, and present monthly, quarterly and annual sales trends to support marketing, sales and production strategies
- Maintain, develop, and troubleshoot excel models to provide financial reports and sales data
- Work with the Production Coordinator to create and maintain costing spreadsheets to understand margin and profitability by product line and sales channels
- Plan and manage quarterly inventory count and recommend optimal inventory levels
- Work closely with cross functional teams to create sales and inventory performance metrics, develop demand forecasts and make purchasing decisions
- Identify and report on monthly and quarterly business KPIs.
- Design and develop ad hoc reports as required
Other tasks may include
- Prepare special financial and regulatory reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operational and financial information
- Recommend and implement system changes to improve enterprise resource information flow, security and internal controls
- Contribute to team effort by providing administrative and financial support to other department teams including IT, operations, marketing, and customer service
Lunapads is committed to building a skilled and diverse team of professional employees; as such we are an equal opportunity employer. Women, trans & queer folks, indigenous people, people of colour, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resumé and cover letter to the attention of Suzanne Siemens, CEO by clicking here.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all candidates for their interest however due to the volume of applications we will only contact those selected for an interview. No phone calls or office visits please.